Money saving ideas...Freezer cooking...Cloth diapering...Home decorating...and anything else that strikes my fancy!

Wednesday, November 28, 2007

growing old....

It hit me yesterday. I was sitting in a meeting, thinking about how I'm turning another year older soon and how a friend recently joked that I don't act seriously enough to ever be "in charge", when I realized I'm an adult. Although I don't feel like one (and certainly don't look like one)….my life says I'm a grown-up.

It took me by surprise because I feel like I still have so much growing and changing left to do….I don't want this to be my grown-up self! Not that I don't like who I am….I just thought that was I became an adult I'd be more serious….more of the time. And so that got me to thinking about who I really am….I still feel like a kid who's slowly growing up, yet I'm guessing that most of the people I interact with (outside of family and friends) view me as someone who's past the childhood phase. It makes me think….do I want my adult self to be this silly? This flippant? This crazy? This unserious? I don't like the alternative….so I guess so.

And it's not like I think I can't change the whole rest of my life….I just realized that more than a quarter of my life is over. That's kind of intimidating…especially when one considers that the older one gets, the more one gets set in ones ways. Just a lot to think about, right?

In other news, announcement: If I walk behind you, outdoors, and in the cold wind….I should not be choking on your frangrance. It means you're wearing WAY too much….tone it DOWN thankyouverymuch.

I'm going to post an article later….Jess and I are reading/emailing on it. Some interesting points/thoughts. We'll discuss. :o)

2 comments:

Ben Kohlmann said...

keep being you. we never really grow up-- there is always more to learn, more to experience, more to explore. The world is such a big place and there is so much to behold, its quite sad when wide eyed wonderment ceases to be significant in ones life because they are now "grown up." Ive learned more being out of school than I ever did while in it, and it excites me to know I (God-willing) have decades more worth of discoveries and analysis to make! ;-)

Jess(ica) said...

This struck me today because ANOTHER high school friend is pregnant. When did we enter our late-twenties? Aren't we supposed to still be fresh-out-of-college? I'm one of those people who was always anxious to grow up, and now I'd rather just slow it down. Ha.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Search & Win