Money saving ideas...Freezer cooking...Cloth diapering...Home decorating...and anything else that strikes my fancy!

Monday, March 12, 2007

*sigh*

Today was beautiful, wasn't it? This is the perfect weather where you walk out of a building you've been in all day long, and the feeling of the sun on your face and the wind in your hair makes everything better. It's like breathing in freedom. Or simplicity. Or a life without cares. A promise that if spring isn't here, it's certainly on the way....which can only mean that summer is not far in the distance.

So here's a picture. It's Iowa. And it's what I miss:
I miss the country. I know, I know. There are a lot of country-folk who would take issue with me calling where I lived in Iowa the country, but that's as country as I've ever been. A corn field across the street from my house? Deer running across my driveway being a common occurrence? Parties in barns? That's country to me. And I miss it. I was driving home from work today with all the windows down...just to enjoy the weather a little bit more...and all of a sudden: cigarette smoke. In my wide open, bring in the spring air, windows. Ok, there are a fair share of cigarettes in Iowa, but the smell of clean air every time i walked outside? Amazing. Open fields? So great. A slower pace of life where I could "go out" in jeans, a tshirt, and tennis shoes....no pointy-toes...no heels.....and not feel out of place? Green grass everywhere you looked. Learning more about farming and horses and machines than you ever thought you could. Feeling like you were dropped in the middle of real, FOR REAL, nature. I miss that. I feel like I'm in the middle of a smoggy, dirty, car-filled realm of craziness. Not that Minneapolis is bad, not at all...this is home. But sometimes, I want to breathe in and just smell the air.

Sorry, end of rant. Except that I also want a dog.

In other news, I hope at age 75 I look as good as Regis does. Did you know he's 75?! SEVENTY-FIVE. That's crazy. He's going in for by-pass surgery this week. Don't worry, this is the only celebrity news I know. In related news, my grandma (the only grandparent left) is turning 90 this year. We share a birthday. Yup. Ninety. Apparently a surprise birthday is being planned for 89.5 years since it's looking like 90 might be a long shot. I thought it was the coolest thing to have great-grandparents...so unless I marry someone with living grandparents, I guess that's out. My sister and I got these super fun dolls named grape jelly and peanut butter from our great-grandma. Now that i think about it, those may have been a little odd, huh?

Tonight, after pilates, Karissa and I walked ALL the way to coffee. It was so beautiful out. Mmm. Spring. :o) What a great walk. We felt very eco-conscious as well. :o) And now, good night. I'll be listening to the trains outside my window (isn't that a song?)

Love.


2 comments:

Mariah said...

Mmmm. Great post. Made me think of Nebraska.

Love you!

Anonymous said...

If you want to visit the country, come out with me to my dad's farm! The smell of hay is one of my favorite smells in the world!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Search & Win