Money saving ideas...Freezer cooking...Cloth diapering...Home decorating...and anything else that strikes my fancy!

Saturday, May 28, 2011

Money Saving - Idea #1

**Make your favorite snack at home**

For us, this is the quaker chewy granola bar...chocolate chip, please. I just saw a box of 12 on sale for $2.50 today. I made 18 (larger than quaker's) for an estimated $2.

Mock Quaker Choc Chip Granola Bars
3 C rolled oats
1.5 C crisped rice
1/2 C melted butter
1/3 C brown sugar
1 t vanilla
1 t baking soda
1 C honey
1 C flour

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

Mix everything together in a bowl until thoroughly moistened and clumpy. Spray a 9x13" pan (I used glass, so that I could cut in the pan without worrying about scratches) and pour everything in the pan. Spray a spatula and press down into the pan. Bake at 325 for 18 - 20 minutes.

Remove from the oven and press everything down again with the sprayed spatula. Let cool for 10-15 minutes and cut into granola sized bars (I made 18, I think I may make them smaller next time). Let cool another 30 minutes. Remove from pan with spatula and separate to completely cool on a wire rack. I then put each one in a plastic baggie, taped closed (didn't have the little snack bags or waxed paper that I wanted to use), and tossed them all into an empty quaker granola bar box. Tada!!

Honest appraisal - they taste a little bit different, but that's because we're using honey instead of corn syrup and invert sugar (because we don't even know what invert sugar is!). They taste more like cascadian farm granola bars - sweet but healthy. MMMMM.

Your turn, what snacks have you found are just as good or better to make at home?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Search & Win