Money saving ideas...Freezer cooking...Cloth diapering...Home decorating...and anything else that strikes my fancy!

Friday, June 05, 2009

baking

Let me be honest. I am begininning to really like cooking, but I love baking. I've currently committed to making all of our bread from scratch. No more preservatives for us!

Anyway, I use the william's sonoma baking cookbook for some fun bread recipes, but I can NOT seem to get the dinner roll recipe to proof very well. I try forcing it with warmer air, I try giving it more time, I try letting the yeast dissolve a bit longer, but they still always come out more dense than I'd like. My next try will be a bit less flour than called for and possibly more yeast.

Does anyone have any other ideas? I can get wheat sandwhich bread to proof like nobody's business, but all white dinner rolls, no luck. I don't sift my flour, is that maybe it? Arrrrg.

Thanks!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

What kind of flour are you using? Are you using bread flour for the rolls? You might be getting too much gluten with bread flour. Try switching to just regular all-purpose flour, and if you're using that, try doing a 70/30 AP/Cake flour ratio. Hope they turn out!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Search & Win