Money saving ideas...Freezer cooking...Cloth diapering...Home decorating...and anything else that strikes my fancy!

Thursday, December 28, 2006

don't i know you?

I just got back from a quick trip to Menards (had to pick up some lightbulbs and tile). As I'm standing in line (wondering why there's only one register open at closing) a guy gets in line behind me and comments on how there's only one register open. I half-turn around as I agree with him that it's crazy and as I turn back I think "gosh, i know that guy." I had no idea what his name was, where I knew him from, or when the last time i saw him was. He did the same pause/reaction of possible recognition, but then another register opened and I quickly switched lines. As I waited for my friendly Menards clerk to ring up my purchases, I glance back at the other register in an attempt to determine who this guy was. He was glancing my way as well. I paused on the thought that maybe it was this older brother of a woman i worked with at northwestern bookstore and attended sunshine with about eight years ago, but then quickly moved on when this guy didn't fit with the mental image of this woman's brother in a Larry the Cucumber tshirt. And then I left.

During all of the over-detailed story above, it occurred to me that I've lived in minneapolis for so long and been so open to interacting with and meeting random, new people - that there are probably close to hundreds of people wandering this city that i've had conversations with but could never positively identify again. I find that odd, unnerving, and a bit frightening. I know there are 6 billion people wandering around this globe, but sometimes it feels like the world is so ridiculously small that evenutally I'll run out of new people to meet. Is it a symptom of living in a bubble, or is it just indicitive of Minnesota and the fact that people never really leave?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's maybe the best reason I've heard for moving out of MN. The weather one is old and lame...plus..snow is awesome!

Steve

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Search & Win