Money saving ideas...Freezer cooking...Cloth diapering...Home decorating...and anything else that strikes my fancy!

Wednesday, November 22, 2006

mumblings of men

Had an interesting conversation today with the woman who sits next to me at work. She commented that men typically concentrate more on the tone of what they're saying than on the words they are using. As an example, she told the story of a neighbor's son to whom she is a sort of aunt. My co-worker was walking down the hallway of the school and said hello to this student. The student's friend asked if he was rich...as he was telling to the story to my coworker, she asked why his friend would wonder such a thing. This neighbor's son/student replied that it was because of my coworker's "snooty little walk". !! Her point was that if a woman made such a comment, my coworker would be in an uproar, but for this student/guy, it was just the words he came up with to communicate that she walks confidently...and as he had no malicious intent in his tone, it came off as very nonchalant. Interesting, eh?

After thinking about it for awhile, I think agree, though. It's rare that guys are catty and mean on purpose...it's usually just a slip of verbage/wordage. Do we think it's a good thing? Should women work on this...i mean obviously the catty/bitchy/mean thing should go away....but is what we say really all about tone, or do we have a responsibility to word choice even if we've gotten to a point where it really IS all about tone? My co-worker commented that the interesting thing about this lack of thought behind word choice for men is that it's a nice suprise when a man is able to effectively communicate through words and not just tone.

Does this all just come under the catagory of "men and women are different"?

Happy Thanksgiving! Best out of office I've seen yet?
"I love Turkey. For this reason, I am out of the office. Please contact with all Channels emergencies. Thanks!"
Love!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Can't say I totally agree with that. I guess communicating with tone is probably where language started. Tim Allen and his Tool Time bit definitely help to show that grunts can go a long way toward conveying thought or emotion. Saying that guys communicate more through tone than cognitive word selection might be going too far. I think boy and girls/men and women all know what they’re trying to say. The problem comes in the interpretation of the words when they hit the other side of the communication street. If the female co-worker would have flipped out when the “snooty little walk” comment was made, the student would have learned that comments like that are a bit uncouth. Since that didn’t happen he won’t learn from his faux pas. Maybe thats a good thing, we’re not supposed to sensor ourselves are we? Maybe its bad, getting our message across is what we should care about. Its almost like a game of operator.

So I guess my thoughts are that communication is not limited to either tone or word choice. The end goal is to convey a message. If that message can be passed with just a grunt...great saves time. If it takes a 250 word reply to a blog...sweet. The big thing is being understood. Dogs can bark in a lot of different ways. My dog Porter can ask for water, to play, or to be taken out just by the tone of his bark. He also says hello when you walk in the door. I’d like to think that as humans we’ve come further than that.

As a side note, have you ever misinterpreted a text/IM/email because you couldn’t hear the tone in the person’s voice? I definitely have.

Grunt grunt grunt,

JD

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Search & Win