Money saving ideas...Freezer cooking...Cloth diapering...Home decorating...and anything else that strikes my fancy!

Friday, November 24, 2006

bubbles

Okay, I'm supposed to be studying. Well, rather, I WAS studying, at Caribou even, but now, I'm blogging.

First, you know you've had too much caffeine when it seems as though the whole world is moving in fast-forward. I just want it all to slow down! Warp speed....ahhh....why won't everything stop spinning! I almost won a Cities 97 Sampler CD, but then TMobile decided I'd been listening to the phone ring for too long. Stupid TMobile. Yet another reason I can't wait to cancel service.

Okay. So, I was at Caribou. Calmly (in caffeinated warp-speed) studying without any interruption or distraction from people around me (who tend to have loud conversations that I can't help listening to...but today they all spoke non-english, so that helped), UNTIL two kids who must be in college sat down a table away from me. First, the guy is LOUD. Like, obnoxiously loud. First comment (in super loud, i must think i'm at a rock concert, voice), "I can't ever let my red-neck friends know I went to a Caribou". Oh super, think I, this must be a first date. And possibly it was....I'm not sure...it was awkward comforableness? Odd. Either way, the guy launches into a recap of his first semester at college..."i played football and made some friends, not my best friends, but you know, it was hard going to a school where I didn't know anyone, but then i figured out who i was, blah, blah, blah"....I look over at the girl and she's extremely interested...in her coffee cup. So then he launches into how it was weird that they prayed at the beginning of every football practice and class and how they have chapel and how they get great speakers because thought they aren't the best academic school....they just really get great speakers. OH-kay. I'm tolerating it okay at this point because his volume inflection goes in and out....so i'm not having to listen to every word he's saying. Then, however, comes the comment that, combined with my extreme caffeinated state, sends me running for my car: "Yeah, it's a bubble, but I like being in a bubble." AHHHHHH. Complete acceptance of the fact that you're living in your own little world without regard to the fact that someday you'll have to rejoin society? Short-sighted.

Perhaps it was the caffeine that wouldn't allow me to continue to cram my brain full of Supply Chain principles before barfing out my difficulty with this kid's statement...but there you have it. Protective bubbles are great if it's a safe environment preparing you to be who you're going to be and equiping you to live in a world that isn't so nice....but enjoying a safe bubble with the sole reason being to enjoy the safe bubble....AUGH.

Okay, I'm pretty sure I'm going to come back and need to revamp this post after the caffeine-high wears off, but those are the thoughts of the moment. Seriously, I think i should never again order a medium size light roast....i should just stick to my typical small. Time to STUDY!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It all depends on you definition of "bubble". Are you referring to living a cloistered, non-diverse life amongst other individuals who are also sheltered from the real world and how things actually operate or are you referring to the idea of a personal bubble?

And just what are you studying?

Jess(ica) said...

Of course a bubble is better. You never have to think for yourself, or meet anyone different than you that might challenge the little ideas that the bubble leadership has pushed into your puny little, underworked brain. I get cranky around exams....

I must admit I hadn't read your blog in awhile and I have a general comment about the whole thing: does your brain move a hundred miles a minute, or are you just schizo? I mean that in a loving way. :) Miss you! (and your schizo-ness... yes that's a word)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Search & Win