Money saving ideas...Freezer cooking...Cloth diapering...Home decorating...and anything else that strikes my fancy!

Tuesday, October 10, 2006

grey's anatomy

You knew it would happen at some point - a blog about grey's anatomy.
I just watched this past thursday's episode tonight.

First, just let me state that I LOVE this show. I've never had a show for this long. I watched the practice for maybe two seasons, the west wing for possibly just as long, and a myraid of other shows for one season or less. I just can't justify cancelling or turning down plans for TV. Until now (although i will use my VCR to allow for some flexibility in this). [as a side note, i will mention that i am extremely annoyed by the assumption - made by people who have tuned in for only a few episodes - that all of the sex is something i completely support and appreciate. bugger off people. seriously. seriously? seriously. it's not about that at all. and if you actually gave the fricken show a chance and were understanding towards people who live a different life than yourself, you might actually learn something and see the underlying themes. ahem. thank you.]

So yes. Grey's Anatomy = fabulousness. (mainly because I see me).

Anyway, tonight. The theme was fantasies, but the comment that struck me was about the pain. It's kinda related to fantasies in that we use fantasies as an attempt to escape our pain (and not necessarily all stereotypical fantasies is what was meant, but instead anything that isn't reality that we use to try and escape the pain).
***And so the question/comment was: Maybe it hurts for a reason.*** But here's the dilemma: Is it better to hang onto the fantasy (i know that's not the right answer) or embrace the pain but struggle with the fact that the reason for the pain may never be known? Maybe it's that the pain can be dealt with, but the lack of reason is what makes it harder?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh, i hear ya. i've heard the same thing cause i'm addicted to grey's. don't worry about it...i just brush it off. :-) i love the dang show. love it, love it.

Anonymous said...

That question is wholly confusing. But I think after wasting 10 minutes of my Contracts class to contemplate it, I've got it. I should state up front that I have no opinion regarding Grey's Anatomy as the only episode I've watched is the one where the anesthetist is too drunk to operate and gets called out by one of the interns - and scolded for it.

But the question I am familiar with and I must say I don't think it's appropriate to live with pain when you don't know the reason why. Pain is fine when you know the reason why as you can strive to correct it in the future, even if you can't solve the problem now. Knowledge allows focus.

But I believe pain as the result of an unknown leads to a negative impact of the sufferor. I think it can brood resentment and hostility towards the source, leading to a destructive behavior (both against one's self and others). Uncertainty creates further uncertainty and scattered efforts.

Therefore, in this instance, I believe it is better to live with the fantasy.

Jess(ica) said...

Personally, I think all the sex is great. (kidding) People need to lighten up though. Vive le Grey's!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Search & Win